Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Friday Night Lights (Movie Review)

Based on a true story, Friday Night Lights follows the trials and tribulations of a Texas high school football team in 1988. As we have learned in several movies, most notably "Varsity Blues," the good folks of Texas are down right crazy about their football. Our insider's view is taken to a new level as we see the pressures placed on teenage boys by their coaches, families and the entire town. To these adults, winning...at any cost...is the only thing that matters. Billy Bob Thornton is quite believable as the head coach. I'm not a big fan of Billy Bob--in fact I almost didn't go see this movie because he was in it...but I'm glad I did because this is one of the best "sports" movies in recent years.

I will hesitate to say that this is the "most realistic" football movie ever made...for one simple reason...I never played high school football. It cracks me up to watch all of these movie critics who have spent their lives passing the buffet line, not a football, talk about "how realistic" this movie is.

However, this movie definitely succeeds in making you feel like you are on the sidelines watching the game. The tackles and hard-hitting action along with all the coaching strategy and trash talking are captivating to observe. There are several players that are focused on throughout the movie, but their individual stories are not nearly as interesting as the emphasis on "the team" and how the "the team" pulls together to accomplish their goals in the face of all the pressure and adversity.

If you are a fan of sports movies I highly recommend that you check this movie out. You will find yourself completely engrossed from beginning to end. But would it have killed them to throw in a whipped cream bikini?

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I was looking for sites that have information on koi pond filtration co uk
to add to my newsletter when I found your site.

I enjoy searching the Internet and finding information on my hobby of water gardening and sharing that information with others.

I hope that you will pay my site a visit as well.

Thanks,
Thomas Holley
Water-Garden-Directory.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home